Thursday, November 13, 2008

Remembrance Day

I love Remembrance Day. It was always a big day in our house. My father was a veteran of the Second Great War as were his three brothers.Their father was a First World War Veteran. It was and is a day not to glorify war, but to honour those who went to war in our defence.
This photo is of my son in law's grandfather , who served in World War II. The children are his great grandchildren. He is a splendid man. He was one of the younger soldiers who enlisted. Everyone loves him. His wife, his children , his grandchildren and great grandchildren. And so do I. I am fortunate enough to be considered "one of the family". He calls me "Taliban" as he feels my left wing leanings are "terrorist" in nature. I call him "handsome " and flirt outrageously with him.His wonderful wife treats it all with good humour. She adores him as he does her.
He was wounded in the war and suffers daily with the pain of shards of shrapnel still in his body. In spite of that he is almost always in good spirits. He loves a party and sings bawdy songs. His family adores him and never forgets to honour his service for his country (which during that time was The Dominion of Newfoundland). Every year his entire family attends the Remembrance Day Service to watch him march again with what's left of his comrades, and every year in our hearts we think what we dare not say............
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger Shelley said...

Oooo. I do love a man in uniform, very handsome indeed! A few years back I bought a painting of a poppy, I swear it was due to my fond memories of Remembrance Day back home...

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home